Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz1JubADkoz

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Asleep in his crib...

Tonight, for the first time, I put Diego to bed in his crib. He takes naps in there regularly, but tonight is the first time I've tried putting him there at bedtime. I'm sitting in bed wishing he would wake up so I could bring him back into our bedroom to sleep in the bassinet. The hardest part is I know he will sleep much better in his own room without our interruptions. I have so many things going through my mind right now. I am petrified of SIDS, worried the baby monitor won't be loud enough for me to hear him (even though his door is literally 10 feet from ours).... I have been thinking about at least trying this for a while now, mainly because his bassinet recommends he only sleep there until he's 18 pounds and I'm pretty sure he's close, and because at some point he needs to be in his own room...I guess. I would be perfectly happy with him sleeping in our bedroom forever (I think), but Eddie doesn't agree. We'll see how tonight goes...I may end up sleeping on the floor in his room.

8 comments:

Ona said...

Good luck...Meghan you can do it!

Rachel said...

I hope all went well last night!!! You know how I feel about the whole thing, so just call me if you need anything!!!

mbrassfield said...

Jenna slept in our room in a portacrib until she was 6 months and I had a very hard time letting her go to her own room. Part of my problem was that her bedroom is downstairs and ours is upstairs. If the power goes out then the monitor fails and i would not be able to hear her cry. I had many sleepless nights at first, but eventually you get used to it and welcome the fact that you do not need to be quiet in your own bedroom so the baby can sleep.

Tiffany said...

Big decisions, mama! I know how you are feeling right now, as you know, I struggled with the very same things/feelings. Mommyhood will hold a constant feelings of "newness" for you through every stage. Some of these times it will wrench your heart out of your chest, some make you want to explode with love and pride, and some are just dang confusing! You will think you've got it all figured out and Diego will throw a wrench in there just to keep you on your toes. I do hope your first night "away" from Diego went well as eventually it will be an important step. But make it when you feel you are ready. And if it isn't now, it will be later. Hang in there!

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

The boys have never slept in our room...only because of logistics (two?!? Where???). Well, that, and Mike wanting to just sleep with his wife and not half the family! : ) I hated it at first. The first night home, I was like, 'what if I don't hear them? What if something happens?' so I can totally relate what you're going through. But whenever they made a noise, my mommy instinct kicked in and I woke up and I'm very happy that they are now such good sleepers in their own room. Hang in there.

Angela said...

Good for you! I hope you had some good sleep last night!

Valerie of Momia said...

Makayla slept in our room for just over a month. It was then that we moved into an apartment and those who helped us move moved all of Makayla's things into what I had envisioned as the spare/catch all (see "junk") room! So, I though I'd give it a try. We shared a wall and the doors were practically next to each other. It took a little getting used to and I, too was paraniod about SIDS! I put that monitor as close as I could to her crib (or swing depending on where she was at the time) and turned up the volume. Eventually it really paid off as I learned to sleep through little sounds she made and she learned to go back to sleep on her own (although, I must admit, this didn't happen for....a veeeeeeery long time! But all babies and mommas are different!)

I hope it's going well!