Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz1JubADkoz

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Homemade Pedialyte

Homemade Pedialyte
1 qt Water
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
4-8 tsp sugar

Why would I need to know how to make homemade pedialyte? Well, my poor child started throwing up last night around 11. It is truly and completely heartbreaking to see your child throw up. I cried right along with him. I knew something was up. He hasn't been himself for a few days now and last night he had a really hard time getting to sleep, which really frustrated me. After he had been in bed for 2 hours, he woke up coughing and crying so I went in to get him and snuggle in my bed with him. Eddie had just come home from work and while he was walking around our room getting ready for bed he looked over and realized Diego was awake and had a strange scared look in his face. A few seconds later he was sort of gagging and then started throwing up. The poor little guy. I can only imagine what could have been going through his head as he started feeling nauseated or when his dinner started coming back out. Not sure how it happened, but I didn't care one bit that he barfed all over me. I guess its part of being a Momma. Then I felt really guilty about being frustrated that it took him so long to get to sleep. He never saw my frustration, but I still felt guilty. He just didn't know how to tell me he wasn't feeling good. He wasn't upset when he was trying to go to sleep, he just couldn't. He woke up again at 3 am and acted like he was hungry or thirsty, so I tried to give him a bit of a bottle and he got sick again. Then again at 7:30 this morning. I called the Dr and after they asked their series of questions, determined that it wasn't necessary for me to bring him in but I needed to give him pedialyte, or make my own. Then they proceeded to tell me I should give him 2 tsps of my homemade pedialyte every 2 minutes, yes 2 minutes. Seemed like a lot to me, but I did it. Sometimes it was 4 or 6 minutes but as long as he wasn't sleeping, for the next 8 hours I gave him the mixture. He was a really good sport about it and since he was snuggling on the couch with me most of the day anyway, it wasn't hard to give it to him. We read books, we played with some toys and he slept for about 4 hours. The Dr had said to avoid giving him anything but clear liquids until he had gone 8 hours without vomiting. After he woke up from his nap, I decided to give him a cracker, cause it had been 8 hours. The little man was hungry! Usually when I give him a cracker he crushes it and makes a big fun mess, but he took tiny, meticulous bites and went through three crackers leaving nothing but a few crumbs on his tray! And thank goodness, he kept them down. He also drank a ton of water and then actually played for a while on the floor before having more crackers and a bit of yogurt. He was asleep by 7 tonight, and hopefully tomorrow he'll be a bit more like himself.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

It is so hard to watch your kid be sick. I can't imagine the throwing up...that hasn't happened to us yet thank goodness. Funny how when we turn the corner into motherhood the majority of bodily functions no longer bother us if it is from our child.

Rachel said...

My mom handled Sawyer's first bout with the flu...poor baby!! I'm hoping tomorrow is a new day.
Thanks for the recipe.

Ashley said...

Oh, poor Diego - and poor Meghan! I'm so sorry to hear that yall have had such a bad time... I hope that he gets to feeling better real soon!

mbrassfield said...

Jenna was never a big fan of the pedialyte, so I used gatoraid and made homemade popsicles out of it and she loves those!
Sorry your little guy was sick, seems like there is a lot of that going around!

Their Giant said...

We can totally use this recipe around here lately.

Poor Diego.